Saturday, October 20, 2018

Conference was Fabulous! Now for Halloween in Vietnam!!

Wow! Conference was just wonderful! I thought President Nelson's talk on the name of the Church and why we call it by it's full name was great! It's also so awesome that they will be building a temple in Cambodia! That will be closer for the members here in Vietnam! Elder Holland also gave a great talk about forgiveness. I always love to listen to the Tabernacle Choir for sure! It would be so awesome to be in the Tabernacle Choir! That was so cool that the missionaries from the MTC got to perform at General Conference! I really love one song that the Tabernacle Choir did, which is actually a primary song: "I will follow God's plan for me." The lyrics from this song are important for us to understand: My life is a gift; my life has a plan.
My life has a purpose; in heav’n it began.
My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth
And seek for God’s light to direct me from birth.
I will follow God’s plan for me,
Holding fast to his word and his love.
I will work, and I will pray;
I will always walk in his way.
Then I will be happy on earth
And in my home above.

This past Saturday and Sunday, we watched General Conference at the church, and we had a wonderful miracle from the Lord: we had 11 investigators, 2 recent converts, and 1 less active member attend the Conference from our area/companionship!

Do you have any fun plans for Halloween? We definitely do here! We are planning a special event night at the church for Wednesday October 24 where people can come to practice English and learn about Halloween! We normally have our free English Activity every Wednesday at 7:00 PM, but this will be a special Halloween event night that will start earlier at 6:30 PM. Elder Partridge and I will be doing Halloween Bingo! The sister missionaries will be doing a trick or treat activity, and the other elder companionship will be doing musical chairs to Halloween music! Also on this same day will be my last zone conference.

My companion and I currently have five investigators with a baptismal date: Chú Hải, Em Khang, Em Vương Anh, Anh Nam, and Anh Linh. I will just share about one of them, Chú Hải: He is actually our security guard at the church in Bình Dương, but he only comes to work there on Sundays for church and on Wednesdays for the English activity. In other branches where I've served, there is normally always a security guard at the church, but here is different. Anyway, Chú Hải is learning about the Gospel with us now, and he has a real interest in the Book of Mormon! He even got another security guard to come and work with him yesterday so that he could come up to watch the Sunday Morning Session of General Conference! The last lesson that we had with him, we set a baptismal date with him for December 23, 2018! He is a really nice guy, and does a great job as security guard!

As far as the horses at the church go, there are often times when we see them in front of the church. We currently have a senior missionary couple here in the Bình Dương Branch, Elder and Sister Braithwaite, who will actually be going home on Tuesday night. Sister Braithwaite likes to feed the horses. After the Saturday morning session of General Conference, we went outside and I pet one of the horses! 

Something cool: I now have a "My Family" pamphlet in Vietnamese "Gia Đình Tôi" for family history, so I can show that to Ông Nội and Bà Nội when I return home! I also have all the pamphlets in Vietnamese that could help them see and learn more about the Gospel!

Testimony Time:
I really love the hymn "Sweet Hour of Prayer," and there is a line in that hymn that I find very important: "I'll cast on Him my every care, and wait for Thee sweet hour of prayer." I just love that no matter what we are going through in life, we truly can cast on Him our every care, and know that He will listen to and answer our sincere prayers. I also love another line from this hymn: "In seasons of distress and grief my soul has often found relief." Our souls truly can find relief from the challenges of this mortal life as we turn to our Heavenly Father in sincere prayer. It is my testimony that we really can turn to our Father in Heaven in any time and in any circumstance and communicate with Him through sincere prayer. I testify that as we make daily and heartfelt prayer a part of routine, that we will find relief for our souls, and we will draw closer to God. We are His children, and He wants to hear from us. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,
Elder Ly (in Vietnam-Anh Cả Dũng)

Here are some pictures!
1. Our English activity turn-out for the Basic Group this past week in Bình Dương.
2. With our investigator, Chú Hải, after the lesson where we invited him to a baptismal date!
3. General Conference Group on Sunday (right before eating lunch in-between sessions).
4. Out to dinner eating Bún Chả with the other elders (Elder Quốc and Elder Chính), an investigator (Anh Nam-on the left), and a member (Anh Duy-on the right).
5. With two of our more recent investigators, Em khang and Em Vương Anh!





















No comments:

Post a Comment